[c-nsp] netflow not recording correct origin-as

Charles Sprickman spork at bway.net
Thu Jun 14 04:47:49 EDT 2012

On Jun 14, 2012, at 4:16 AM, Gert Doering wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Jun 14, 2012 at 12:28:35AM -0400, Charles Sprickman wrote:
>> That's a flow from 86.21.123.0 which is AS 5089 to one of our
>> customers.  Fa2/0 is HE.net.  So not only is this flow not sourced
>> from AS3356, it's not even coming in via our transit link to 3356.
>> This seems totally wrong.
>
> Flows source AS numbers are not mapped by inbound interface or whatever,
> but by mapping of the source address to BGP-bestpath.  So if you would
> send outbound packets to that IP address to 3356, that's the AS number
> you'd see.

Thanks, that's very helpful.

Is the current config that collects ingress and egress on the
transit links the current best practice for this or should I revert
to ingress-only on all the interfaces that I care about?

> As for "why do you see AS 3356 in the flow records if the traffic does
> not end in 3356" - do you, by change, have an incomplete BGP table plus
> a default route coming in from 3356?  In that case, everything matched
> by the default route would be "3356".

Please don't think I'm a total idiot, but I thought we did have full
routes.  We do not.  Back before we dropped in the NPE-G2 we had an
NPE-300.  IIRC, we ran into both memory issues as well as some cpu
issues whenever bgp dropped and came back from one of the providers.
On the Level3 side I believe I'm simply filtering out everything but
default and on the HE side they are sending customer routes only.

If you'd humor me for a moment, I'd appreciate it.  Here's our
current memory situation:

		Head Total(b) Used(b) Free(b) Lowest(b) Largest(b)
Processor 6B934E0 1883686692 151092916 1732593776 1698819632
1715914532
      I/O 78000000 67108864 8825864 58283000 58056480 58227804
Transient 77000000 16777216 143752 16633464 14181572 16584768

Would a full table from both transit providers (with soft reconfig
enabled) fit comfortably in that amount of memory or not?

I would like to get better reporting on what our top ASes are, but I
don't want to push this thing over the edge to do it.  I'm also
feeling a bit better about HE.net these days and would not mind
pushing more outbound traffic their way.  And in the coming months
we may be adding more transit from a third or fourth provider and it
might be best to let bgp make decisions about where traffic should
go.

Thanks so much, I really appreciate the answers and the explanation.

Charles

--
Charles Sprickman
NetEng/SysAdmin