[c-nsp] 6500 L2 Switch Traffic locally between two SubInterfaces on different ports?

Erik Sundberg ESundberg at nitelusa.com
Sun Jun 17 04:08:15 EDT 2012

I was looking in to the connect command after posting. Unfortunately the only supported interfaces types are showing up on the switch is Dialer and MFR on the 6500

So the reason that i am not setting this up as a vlan is the following.

We have multiple GE circuits to different carriers that are setup as "L2 NNIs". The carriers deliver circuits (T1s to MetroE) to our customers put the traffic for each customer on a VLAN on the GE.  Depending on the customers' needs they get Internet Access, L3VPN MPLS, or EoMPLS L2 P-P Service. With the multiple carriers going into this same chassis we have a lot of overlapping VLAN id's. (Config example at end of email)

So the need for a L2 connection between two carriers are on the same switch has come up and that is why i need to create the Local L2 switching between the two subinterfaces.

Here is what i am looking for in the XR Software but i am looking to be able to do the same thing on the Cat6500, but it doesn't support L2VPNv3
 l2vpn
  xconnect group examples
  p2p example1
  interface TenGigE0/7/0/6.5
  interface GigabitEthernet0/4/0/30

The only other work around i can think of is to backhaul the need Switch subinterface to a subinterface on our PE router then having a xcossover cable between the two interfaces on our PE. But i am not a fan of this idea of mine. So it would look like the following
SWg1/2.3000----EoMPLS--PE1g0/0/0.10
Xconnect cable between the GE interface on our PE1 or using the connect command.
SWg1/3.100----EoMPLS--PE1g0/0/1.10

Below is an example of how our switch is configured for each carrier.

interface GigabitEthernet1/2
no ip address
!
interface GigabitEthernet1/2.111
 description Internet Customer
 ip address 1.1.1.1 255.255.255.252
!
interface GigabitEthernet1/2.222
 description MPLS Customer
 ip vrf forwarding L3VPN-CUST1
 ip address 2.2.2.2 255.255.255.252
!
interface GigabitEthernet1/2.333
 description EoMPLS Customer
 encapsulation dot1Q 2000
 xconnect 192.168.0.1 1 encapsulation mpls
!
Interface GigabitEthernet1/2.3000
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Need to connect to GigabitEthernet1/3.100
encapsulation dot1Q 3000
!
interface GigabitEthernet1/3
no ip address