[c-nsp] cable/dsl/ftth policing, traffic shaping or something else??

Justin Krejci jkrejci at usinternet.com
Tue Jun 19 22:35:25 EDT 2012

CTS and ZyXEL both make AE residential FTTH products with individual ingress/egress rate limiting on all ports. ZyXEL also has DSL products too though beyond the DSL train rate I am not sure if you can do further rate limiting on the LAN Ethernet ports or wifi where available.

Also various packet shapers exist which can do this centrally as well. Procera and Sandvine come to mind. They typically have more flexible shaping and policing capabilities with a lot of knobs to tune the traffic controls.

As for Ethernet CPE devices it probably varies from vendor to vendor and platform to platform on how they achieve their rate control. I am guessing policing is easiest and therefore most common but I don't have any empirical data on that specifically. I have also seen in several cases where enabling Ethernet flow control allows traffic flows to actually achieve the rate defined in the bandwidth limit settings in cases where the traffic would otherwise surpass the limit, compared to where otherwise throughput was dismal without flow control on the customer access ports.

In an effort to bring the thread to Cisco on this Cisco list, in the past we've used VBR-NRT on Cisco for T-1 and DSL bandwidth controls on 7200VXR platform as well where the clients train to the ILEC DSLAMs instead of our own DSLAMs. VBR-NRT worked well from what I recall though it has been a while.