[c-nsp] OSPFv3 support for IOS and IOS-XR

Oliver Boehmer (oboehmer) oboehmer at cisco.com
Fri Jun 22 09:47:07 EDT 2012

> Recently we are checking the OSPFv3 VRF support for IOS and IOS-XR.
> Through the Cisco Feature Navigator, i found two related, one is MPLS VPN
> OSPFv3 PE-CE, another one is OSPFv3 VRF-Lite/PE-CE, i don't know whether
> this two are the same or not.
> My understanding is that OSPFv3 VRF-Lite/PE-CE is for IOS, i.e, for the
> 7600.
> Then the MPLS VPN OSPFv3 PE-CE is for IOS-XR, i.e, for the GSR, CRS,
> ASR9000.

I fear that's the same feature, but is entered into the feature database using different names for the different OS architectures, hence it shows up differently. Both support the "capability vrf-lite" knobs, so both can be used in a "real" MPLS-VPN PE-CE setup as well as in a vrf-lite environment where the addtl. loop prevention logic is not required/counter-productive..

	oli