[c-nsp] single static ip address for customer(s)

Aaron aaron1 at gvtc.com
Fri Jun 22 14:42:15 EDT 2012

Hi all, I'm the origin of this question (I'm not sure if I should be
admitting that or not)  (lol)

Did you'll think when I said" customers" that I meant customers with
networks ?  (I guess I'm asking this now based on some of the responses I've
seen)  please forgive me if I wasn't clear enough initially....

Please know that when I say "single static ip address for customer(s)" in my
subject heading, I mean a residential dsl subscriber with a windows computer
sitting on his desk in his master bedroom and he bought a single static ip
address from me (the isp I work for).  This is the context of my question.

So consider this....

Guy with windows pc with single static ip on
it--------------dslam--------cisco 3750------cisco
4500---------7609-----------internet

I have a collapsed IP core architecture pretty much whereas the default
gateway for my customer is on the 7609.....so pretty flat from customer all
the way to my core gw (7609) that acts both as the def gw for customers AND
as the termination of an internet pos oc48...bam, customer has one router
hop and his in att cloud on the internet.

we are gonna do this type of thing soon....

Guy with windows pc with single static ip on
it--------------dslam--------cisco me3600x(pe)---mpls---cisco
asr9k(p)-----9k(p)-----(more
p's)----9k(pe)-------same7609-----------internet

So I'm gonna have to do an mpls l2vpn (vpXs) to cause that single static
customer to maintain his single static ip such that I can maintain bcast
domain consistency back into the 7609 where that original bcast domain for
that subnet that the cutomer is on to remain intact.

I posed this question to y'all wondering if y'all know of anything other
isp's do to solve single static deals like this.

But maybe the answer is exactly what I'm already planning on doing....mpls
l2vpn, etc.

Thanks
Aaron