[c-nsp] single static ip address for customer(s)

Ross Halliday ross.halliday at wtccommunications.ca
Fri Jun 22 17:11:40 EDT 2012

> Thanks Ross.  I've heard of pppoe but never used it.  This is the first
> ISP I've ever worked for....tell then I was purely enterprise.

Oh, well... ISP is good times :) Lots more things to break!

> Perhaps at least
> it would make sense for my single static ip customers to be setup with
> pppoe
> so I could gain this flexibility huh?  I wonder if the same would be
> said
> for any access technology group (dsl, cable modem, ftth) ?  If so, I
> guess I
> would just need to know if I could implement pppoe on the end equipment
> we
> stick in the customer premise correct?

Correct. Throughout our network we run a bridged design to the subscriber. Calix B6/Occam BLCs are very friendly to this. We have many types of wireless, direct Ethernet, FTTH, and DSL subscribers all on PPPoE. A static IP for them is a monthly fee, and for customer service a simple click of a button. It's a very easy way to control IP allocation (though your route tables can end up with a lot of /32s), bandwidth plans, transfer quota, disabling for on-payment or to make them call for some reason, and so on. Also on the edge level you don't need to mess around with ARP, people plugging in routers backwards, etc... only have to allow two frame types.

> And the I guess I would need some
> sort of pppoe server/router in the core rcv'ing these request from the
> endpoints huh ?  could you explain high level how to do.....would cisco
> router handle the pppoe at the hub?  Can I do this redundantly in hub,
> like dual hub/spoke?

Yep, absolutely. 7200 is a great router for this job, not sure what the rich kids are playing with these days, 7201s perhaps? :-P At each Central Office we dump our subscribers into a 7204 running as a PPPoE LAC that terminates the oE part of things and dumps them into L2TP tunnels which run back to our LNS (a Redback SE400). However most Cisco routers can be used for this purpose as well. You can even use a 2800 for a low-end LAC if you like. I think the local Bell Canada has been using 3600s/3800s for a while. Another approach would be terminating the PPP and oE on the same device if you don't want to run L2TP all over the place.

There's a lot of documentation and configuration guides out there on this stuff, I strongly recommend a few afternoons with some gear and some info and playing around with it.

Cheers
Ross