[c-nsp] NTP Servers

Chuck Church chuckchurch at gmail.com
Sat Jun 23 11:37:46 EDT 2012

We've used 6500s (Sup2 then Sup720) to provide time for 200+ internal
clients for years, never had an issue.  This is our core router providing
time at our largest site to perhaps 400 devices:

327     3011968  40515977         74  0.00%  0.00%  0.00%   0 NTP

It's pretty efficient, but we're not doing authentication either.  For
thousands of devices, an appliance might be better, though a modern ISR with
a fast CPU (probably want a calendar chip in it) would probably be fine too.
Note that Cisco doesn't seem to support the advanced features of NTPv4 from
what I can tell such as PKI-based auth.  An appliance is apt to support
those.  The beauty of most appliances is that they're easy to manage.  If it
fails, download the latest ISO from company, burn it, boot appliance,
restore it and you're back in business in an hour or so.  Keep in mind a
linux kernel running just ntpd and some management necessities like ssh and
http is pretty reliable.  Hardly any I/O, just a simple function it does.

Chuck