[c-nsp] Enabling IPv6 on Cisco 6500 breaks IPv4 Internet connectivity.

Tim Durack tdurack at gmail.com
Sat Jun 23 18:36:39 EDT 2012

This is a curious story. Why does the SP hit 99%? I could understand
the RP maybe. TAC can't explain that?

We run Internet in a VRF. Actually we run several VRFs for different
transit providers, and one for peering. We configure "mpls label mode
all-vrfs protocol bgp-vpnv4 per-vrf" to avoid per-prefix labels (there
is no matching vpnv6 command, it is missing from the SXI train.) No
performance issues.

Admittedly we run full+default and table shave down to ~270k prefix.
Maybe the timing of 0/0 hitting the fib saves us from similar issues,
but I don't think we've experienced anything like what you describe
even before we started "shaving".

mls config:

mls ipv6 vrf
mls ip cef load-sharing full
mls ip multicast replication-mode ingress
mls ip multicast bidir gm-scan-interval 10
mls ipv6 acl compress address unicast
mls aging long 300
mls exclude acl-deny
mls netflow interface
mls flow ip interface-full
mls nde sender
mls qos
mls rate-limit multicast ipv4 fib-miss 1000 100
mls rate-limit multicast ipv4 igmp 1000 100
mls rate-limit multicast ipv4 ip-options 1000 100
mls rate-limit multicast ipv4 partial 1000 100
mls rate-limit unicast ip options 100 10
mls rate-limit all ttl-failure 100 10
mls rate-limit all mtu-failure 100 10
mls rate-limit layer2 pdu 1000 100
mls cef error action reset
mls cef maximum-routes ipv6 128
mls cef maximum-routes mpls 128
mls cef maximum-routes ip-multicast 16
mls mpls recir-agg
mls mpls tunnel-recir

This results in:

sh mls cef maximum-routes
FIB TCAM maximum routes :
=======================
Current :-
-------
 IPv4                - 608k (default)
 MPLS                - 128k
 IPv6                - 128k
 IP multicast        - 16k

sh mls cef summary

Total routes:                                    364992
    IPv4 unicast routes:                         340604
        IPv4 non-vrf routes:                     48
        IPv4 vrf routes:                         340556
    IPv4 Multicast routes:                       15
    MPLS routes:                                 9299
    IPv6 unicast routes:                         15070
        IPv6 non-vrf routes:                     21
        IPv6 vrf routes:                         15049
    IPv6 multicast routes:                       3
    EoM routes:                                  1

Tim:>

--
Tim:>