[c-nsp] Faulty Card

Justin M. Streiner streiner at cluebyfour.org
Mon Jun 25 08:39:46 EDT 2012

On Mon, 25 Jun 2012, Harry Hambi wrote:

> I have a faulty card in a live network ( 16  SFM-capable 16 port
> 10/100/1000mb RJ45 ), I have found a 48 port version of this card. Hope
> this is not a stupid quesation, will the 48 port card work in this
> chasis?,

Without knowing the specifics, the answer is "it depends".  I say that
because it does legitimately depend on many variables:
1. The model number of the old card
2. The model number of the replacement card and its
hardware/software/firmware version
3. Your chassis type
4. The IOS version you're running

> will the config go on the first 16 ports, the rest being ignored?

That's possible but I wouldn't count on it.  Have a backup of the config
for the ports that you want to preserve handy.

jms