[c-nsp] Basic understanding of 6PE and 6VPE

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Mon Jun 25 09:35:23 EDT 2012

Adam,

you are missing the fact that you may have ICMPv6 error generation be
suppressed or dropped.  Traceroute and other things are valuable tools
to diagnose what is going on.  Having an indicator of where the device
sits that generates the error within the "MPLS Core" is important.

Those that do loose-rpf on IPv6 may also see the mapped-v4 addresses
dropped.  This is observed by tracing across the ATT and Cogent MPLS
network as they have done 6PE.

If you want to repeat this problem/mistake then go ahead.  I'm trying to
help folks understand why I'm making the recommendation.

- Jared