[c-nsp] ASR-9001 IOS-XR, no image

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Mon Jun 25 11:34:33 EDT 2012

On Jun 25, 2012, at 11:23 AM, Vinny Abello wrote:

> I recently just received a few ASR-9001 routers and was surprised to find they did not come with the required IOS-XR 4.2.1 image at all and are effectively paperweights.

I had observed something similar to this in the past.  If it was ordered with the = (equals sign) at the trail of the part number manufacturing assumes its a spare even if its part of a full-kit, and may not include the software.

This is very frustrating as the ROMMON only supports TFTP and not anything that can do window-scaling over a distance with latency, etc…  This can make the loading of software take hours depending on the RTT to your staging host.

- Jared