[c-nsp] Basic understanding of 6PE and 6VPE

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Mon Jun 25 16:35:40 EDT 2012

On (2012-06-25 22:16 +0200), Gert Doering wrote:

> ... then you're already harming your customers by taking away useful
> diagnostic capabilities.
>
> (Now we're with a new provider that gives us best of both worlds - a working
> network, *and* the ability to verify that :-) ).

This really depends what you're selling and to who. If your main business
is MPLS VPN, you probably want to do MPLS core hiding. We get customer
complaints from VPN customers if we don't do core hiding.

Also native IPv6 makes 0 sense to us, we don't route IPv4 natively in core,
doing IPv6 differently is counter-intuitive and counter-productive.
Shops may rely on MPLS-TE, MPLS-FRR heavily.

If you route IPv4 natively in your core, then of course 6PE makes little
sense to you.

(I've had draft-manral-mpls-ldp-ipv6 in our RFQs as long as it has
existed).
--
  ++ytti