[c-nsp] Basic understanding of 6PE and 6VPE

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Tue Jun 26 08:23:34 EDT 2012

Hi,

On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 11:01:43AM +0300, Saku Ytti wrote:
> On (2012-06-26 09:23 +0200), adam vitkovsky wrote:
>
> > Regarding the TTL hiding it's new to me that some Customers would like to
> > see all the MPLS hops
> > However I guess if the network runs as supposed to the Customers wouldn't
> > mind the missing extra hops in their traceroutes
>
> If you are global/tier1 ISP mostly selling IP transit, it would be nice to
> know more than packet ingressed in Finland and egressed in Pakistan.

That was actually one of the issues we had.  Ex-Upstream completely hid
their own topology, including their own PE routers on egress - so we
saw

  - packet entering Ex-Upstream network in Frankfurt
  - * * *
  - * * *
  - * * *

sometimes this was "the customer router on the egress side was broken
and dropped the packets", and sometimes this was "problem in the
ex-upstream-network due to LSPs getting stuck".

No way for us to determine who to call about fixing it - ex-upstream NOC
said "we do not see any problems!", but that's what they said in all
cases, so it was sort of useless...

Especially being able to distinguish which network is responsible for
packet loss / black holes is tremendously important for ISP customers
(for a residential customer, not so, and I can fully understand help
desks that want to take away traceroute tools from their customers).

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de