[c-nsp] CEF and multicast on a 3750

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Tue Jun 26 16:07:24 EDT 2012

Hi,

On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 11:11:21AM -0600, John Neiberger wrote:
> We just solved the problem. It turns out we had mls qos enabled, but
> 99.999% of the traffic on this box is video, so qos was hurting us. We
> were using an older code originally that apparently has a bug that was
> hiding the drops from us. The output drop counters were not
> incrementing. We upgraded the code and suddenly started seeing the
> drops. We then disabled mls qos and now it's running perfectly clean.

Haaaahahaa... so the 3750 has the same issues the 2960 has - if you
turn on "mls qos", the tiny buffers get reduced to tiny/4 buffers,
which makes the drops show up much earlier.  And we also ran into the
"older IOS versions just don't show the drops".

(Yes, of course we tried whether turning on mls qos would help us in
any way - it did, it made the issue much more prominent... :-o ).

gert

                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de