[c-nsp] ttl-security issues

adam vitkovsky adam.vitkovsky at swan.sk
Wed Jun 27 06:18:12 EDT 2012

Hello Charles,

The TTL security check has effect only on incoming direction

If you check the output of the cmd:  sh ip b nei x.x.x.x | i TTL
You'll see:
 Mininum incoming TTL 254, Outgoing TTL 255

So if the TTL of the hello sent to you by your upstream is less than the
minimum incoming value +1 than your router will drop it silently
By default eBGP session sends messages with TTL=1
Thus your upstream would have to enable this as well

adam