[c-nsp] WRR Confusion on 6748 blades

Chris Evans chrisccnpspam2 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 27 12:11:33 EDT 2012

This is where I ask the question whether you need QoS and its queues or
not? At my old employer we never enabled QoS on our 6500s in the data
centers because of this buffer carving issue. When you disable QoS on the
6500 platform it lets the dscp/802.1p bits pass, which we were fine with.
We never wanted to do tagging for applications, it was always do it
yourself or its not getting done. Anytime we enabled QoS we ran into issues
such as you are having.

If you don't need QoS features, disable it and you will have the full
interface buffer for any traffic. If you do need QoS perhaps remap your
queues to reduce the amount of queues that will be in contention for
bandwidth.   In my experience QoS on the 6500 has always caused more issues
than its solved due to its limited interface queuing capabilties.