[c-nsp] VRF multicast, multiple receiver VRF, single source VRF

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Thu Jun 28 04:28:25 EDT 2012

What is the clean/kosher way for multiple VRFs in VRF Lite CE to receive
multicast from single source VRF.

It looks like this is canonical solution for it:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_2sb/feature/guide/extvpnsb.html

But I want my all multicast specific special hacks in CE, I don't want PE
or P to have any multicast related magic at all (unicast route leaking is
acceptable)
I may have rfc6037 or NG-MVPN/BGP, or mLDP in PE/P, it is not relevant,
lets just assume core multicast works. PE/P could be JNPR or CSCO.

I would prefer to send only one copy over CE<->PE, but copy per VRF might
be acceptable.

How I've previously done this, with one receiver VRF and one sender VRF was
with loop cable in CE, with different VRF in each end.
I then added default mroute in receiver VRF to the loop. And in the sender
VRF I added mroute for the receiver LAN to the loop.
I also added unicast RP/32 in the receiver VRF to the loop. And
RP_Source/32 in the sender VRF to the loop.

Now this works and I can scale it with VLAN tagged loop cable to multiple
VRF. But kosher isn't the word I'd use to describe it.

CE could be JNPR too, if that has some special feature to make this
cleaner. In JNPR CE use of LT would remove need for loop cable, but this
doesn't exactly make it cleaner.

--
  ++ytti