[c-nsp] ASR-9001 IOS-XR, no image

Vinny Abello vinny at abellohome.net
Fri Jun 29 12:13:54 EDT 2012

On 6/25/2012 11:34 AM, Jared Mauch wrote:

> On Jun 25, 2012, at 11:23 AM, Vinny Abello wrote:
>
>> I recently just received a few ASR-9001 routers and was surprised to find they did not come with the required IOS-XR 4.2.1 image at all and are effectively paperweights.
>
> I had observed something similar to this in the past.  If it was ordered with the = (equals sign) at the trail of the part number manufacturing assumes its a spare even if its part of a full-kit, and may not include the software.

Just an FYI on this for public record... These were mistakenly ordered as ASR-9001= instead of ASR-9001, so no IOS-XR image option was available when it was ordered. In speaking to Cisco now, they're saying the IOS-XR image is an added line item with an associated list cost of $15k (!!) when ordering the standard part number.

I have to dig deeper, but I'm hoping we got a large discount on the ASR-9001= without realizing it and we just need to pay the difference getting us up to what we had originally budgeted for. Otherwise, the associated costs just for the operating system were not clear. Hopefully this helps someone in the future.

-Vinny