[c-nsp] etherchannel cisco to checkpoint VSX

Klaus Kastens kka at netuse.de
Sat Jun 30 04:38:09 EDT 2012

Hi,

> We are experiencing an issue with the  etherchannel  between a cisco
> 3750 and checkpoint VSX.
>
> The channel comes up but no traffic is passing through.   (not even
> ping between the directly connected interfaces is sucessful)
> On both boxes is ARP shown as incomplete).
>
> On the switch side we trested with channel mode
>  - active (LACP) and
>  - mode on

Did you test with only one interface per port channel?

> - CP is configured with LACP
>
> Anyone had a similar experience ?

Yes, in a VSX cluster port channels (LACP) on one node were working, but
not on the other. Disabling all but one interface on the switches "fixed"
the problem.

The problem was independent of the switch type (N5k, 3750) or interface
card (10G/1G) on the VSX.

All miimon timers on the failing bond interfaces were zero (default after
problem. (Setting these via sysconfig only worked after several attempts.)

    [Expert at fwvsx0:0]# cat /proc/net/bonding/bond0
    Ethernet Channel Bonding Driver: v3.2.4 (January 28, 2008)

    Bonding Mode: IEEE 802.3ad Dynamic link aggregation
 -> Transmit Hash Policy: layer2 (0)
    MII Status: up
 -> MII Polling Interval (ms): 0
 -> Up Delay (ms): 0
 -> Down Delay (ms): 0

Port channels worked after setting polling interval to nonzero:

    echo 100 > /sys/class/net/bond0/bonding/miimon

On the working node timers were correctly configured and applied to
the kernel.

    [Expert at fwvsx1:0]# cat /proc/net/bonding/bond0
    Ethernet Channel Bonding Driver: v3.2.4 (January 28, 2008)

    Bonding Mode: IEEE 802.3ad Dynamic link aggregation
    Transmit Hash Policy: layer3+4 (1)
    MII Status: up
    MII Polling Interval (ms): 100
    Up Delay (ms): 200
    Down Delay (ms): 200

 Best regards,
 Klaus Kastens

--
Klaus Kastens                                               NetUSE AG
Dr.-Hell-Str. 6, D-24107 Kiel,                                Germany

Vorstand: Dr. Joerg Posewang (Vorsitz), Dr. Roland Kaltefleiter, Andreas Seeger
Aufsichtsrat: Dr. Dirk Lukas (Vorsitz)
Sitz der AG: Kiel, HRB 5358 USt.ID: DE156073942

Diese E-Mail enthaelt vertrauliche oder rechtlich geschuetzte Informationen.
Das unbefugte Kopieren dieser E-Mail oder die unbefugte Weitergabe der
enthaltenen Informationen ist nicht gestattet.

The information contained in this message is confidential or protected by
law. Any unauthorised copying of this message or unauthorised distribution
of the information contained herein is prohibited.