[c-nsp] replacing CARP with Cisco possible ?

Peter Rathlev peter at rathlev.dk
Thu Mar 1 12:00:20 EST 2012

On Thu, 2012-03-01 at 16:30 +0100, "Rolf Hanßen" wrote:
> Is there a way to configure virtual IPs that do not belong to the
> "hard-coded" network (ip address x.x.x.x y.y.y.y) of the interface ?
> I see that it is possible to configure other IPs, but this results in a
> warning and there is no possibility to set the netmask at all.

I was wondering the same some years ago. Take a look at this thread:

http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/2007-November/045409.html

We never got it to work. ARP requests are sourced from the real address,
and you cannot add a "connected static" route for a VRF enabled
interface, i.e. "ip route vrf A 192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0 Vlan50" fails.

Also keep in mind that TTL exceeded replies (traceroute) would source
from the "real" interface address.

> Is there a possibility to have static routes that are only active if the
> node has enabled the virtual IP ?

This in itself would be possible with an EEM script that follows the
HSRP log messages and adjusts the configuration. It would trigger a
configuration change, so Rancid or whatever you might use would log a
change every time the HSRP state changes.

> Is there anything else to take care of ?
> Any limitations except the 4096 HSRP-IDs ?

That's 256 for HSRPv1 by the way.

--
Peter