[c-nsp] WS-X6704-10GE, WS-X6708-10GE

Łukasz Bromirski lukasz at bromirski.net
Fri Mar 2 06:07:16 EST 2012

On 2012-03-02 09:13, Artyom Viklenko wrote:

> I'm tring to clarify my understanding of switching paths on these
> line cards. From one point of view, Cisco docs says that if the
> traffic should ingress via one port on the line card and then
> should egress through another port on the same line card it will
> never leave this line card. So it will be switched via internal
> bus. Right?

No, and if it says so somewhere, please point it to the doc team
to fix it.

Both 6704 and 6708 have two complex of Fabric ASICs.
The 6708 you can see on figure 21 here:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps708/prod_white_paper0900aecd80673385.html

The port mappings for Fabric ASICs should be found in the hardware
installation notes under the 'Switch fabric connections' in the
tables for specific LC:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/hardware/Module_Installation/Mod_Install_Guide/02ethern.html#wp1048010

Essentially, traffic from one Fabric ASIC to the ports on the
other Fabric ASIC will go over the fabric itself. Only traffic
belonging the the same Fabric ASIC will be switched locally if of
course there's a DFC installed.

--
"There's no sense in being precise when |               Łukasz Bromirski
  you don't know what you're talking     |      jid:lbromirski at jabber.org
  about."               John von Neumann |    http://lukasz.bromirski.net