[c-nsp] Trunking Private VLANs on 6509

Pavel Skovajsa pavel.skovajsa at gmail.com
Sun Mar 4 12:12:24 EST 2012

Hi,

indeed there is no option for 'Private Vlan Trunk' on a 6500 nowdays. Some
time ago this was possible with CatOS but somehow the support for this did
not get into Native IOS. The only real 'solution' is to use some loopback
cables that 'translate' the incoming dot1q tag. Obviously you would need
twice as many ports as there are vlans for this this, so I would not call
it a solution.

Alternatively if you have the possibility to configure private vlans on the
other switches, you can simply trunk the private vlans using a normal
'switchport mode trunk' on 6500 and allowing both primary and secondary
over the trunk.

Hope it helps.
-pavel