[c-nsp] replacing CARP with Cisco possible ?

Peter Rathlev peter at rathlev.dk
Sun Mar 4 12:18:04 EST 2012

On Fri, 2012-03-02 at 10:34 +0100, "Rolf Hanßen" wrote:
> any idea how other providers offer such redundancy to end customers
> (if they do at all) ? We have a mass of customers with /29 or /28
> networks and losing IPs isn't an option in such cases imo.

I don't think there's a way around using the extra IP addresses if you
want FHRP. Otherwise customers would typically get two /30 networks and
two BGP sessions, providing bette redundancy.

> Using bigger networks would require giving up vlan separation each
> customer, no option either.

You could use private VLANs (or protected ports of the access layer is
not too large) and still have customers layer 2 separated within that
same VLAN.

--
Peter