[c-nsp] ME3600 BGP Route-Maps and IPv6 (WAS: Re: preference on bgp route advertisements)

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Tue Mar 6 05:46:16 EST 2012

On Tuesday, March 06, 2012 04:29:45 PM Reuben Farrelly
wrote:

> WTF?  The IPv6 prefix has been matched by the IPv4
> specific route-map sequence 10, and the community from
> that route map of 38858:2504 'set' on the router. It
> should be falling through to sequence 100 on account of
> a no-match on sequence 10, I thought.  I mean it's not
> even the same friggin protocol...
>
> (And no, there's no IPv6 prefix lists defined at all,
> anywhere, on that switch)

Interesting.

Well, that's one of the reasons we use dedicated routing
policies for both IPv4 and IPv6, including different route-
map names as well, to avoid potential issues such as these
(unintended or otherwise).

Have you tested whether having a dedicated route-map for the
IPv6 session works around this problem?

Then again, IPv6 on the ME3600X is still new. I'm happy to
report that the bug which causes application of an egress
IPv4 ACL to block all IPv6 traffic on a dual-stack interface
has been identified and fixed in the next maintenance
release, but can't say for sure whether the issue you're
facing is in that list.

But very good thing you've reported it. Thanks for sharing
the SR number.

Cheers,

Mark.