[c-nsp] Replacing route policies in IOS XR

Oliver Boehmer (oboehmer) oboehmer at cisco.com
Wed Mar 7 05:45:22 EST 2012

> I'm relatively new to route policies in IOS XR. I have a route policy
> on a production router that needs to be replaced. The documentation
> doesn't exactly make it clear how to do this properly. Is it as simple
> as pasting an entirely new route policy in config mode and committing
> it? I see that there are methods for editing the policy directly from
> the CLI, but that doesn't seem like what I want or need. Since route
> policies don't use line numbering, I'm worried that I might end up
> with some weird merged policy. If we're just replacing the entire
> thing, is it a simple paste and commit?

you only have two options:
1) replace the "whole thing" when you do this within the "config" mode
(you'll get a warning that the full policy will be replaced)
2) edit selective part of it using the built-in editor ("edit
route-policy ...")

If I recall correctly, both will eventually do a full replace (if you
check "show conf commit changes .."), the latter is just looks more
incremental :-)

you can also check out https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-22031

	oli