[c-nsp] port channel numbering schemes

chris stand cstand141 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 7 09:16:52 EST 2012

Hello,

  Anyone use clever port channel numbering schemes ?

We have a number of facilities that have access closets that connect
either directly to a 7K or the access closets connect to 5Ks which
then connect to the 7Ks.

I have co-workers who want to take a trunk that might be carrying vlan
1300,1302,1304 and make the port channel 1300.
The next closet might have vlan 1306,08,10,12.14,16 so its port channel is 1306
The next closet might have vlan 1318, 1320 so ... po 1318

While this seems to have some value in terms of identifying .something
... I don';t think I have ever encountered such a scheme that does not
seem to be flexible for moves/add/changes in terms of addressing.

I want to use po10, po11, po12, po13,po14 like we have on every other
device up until now and put the appropriate vlans in the correct port
channels.

thoughts/ideas/concerns

???

Thanks,