[c-nsp] About a post made from user lpd at cisco.com

Keegan Holley keegan.holley at sungard.com
Mon Mar 12 13:52:39 EDT 2012

I think the information you posted pretty much sum's it up.  OTV can span
layer-3 hops, fabric-path is all layer-2.  I'm sure someone from cisco can
elaborate further, but the differences are simple since there are existing
protocols that do the same things.  OTV is like VPLS/L2VPN without mpls
(the good and the bad).  Last I checked they used ISIS behind the scenes to
send mac address information about and handle loop avoidance similar to
what VPLS does.  Fabric-path is similar to TRILL or DCB/PBB.  It just finds
a way around the spanning-tree limitations of blocked ports allowing
layer-2 domains to scale further.  I think fabric-path also supports FCoE.
I will admit I know more about the standards based stuff than the cisco
proprietary protocols.