[c-nsp] SNMP monitoring routing table over time

Alan Buxey A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk
Tue Mar 13 14:29:18 EDT 2012

Hi,

some years ago I thought about this myself - coupled with SNMPtraps etc you can build a map
of the routing across your network. the trouble was, i went into planning it and all the
required features...and it just grew and grew... i had a couple of quagga boxes joined into
the IGP and EGP systems and was recording stuff but I'm no compsci and got stuck in
a mess of SQL relantional tables that just didnt scale. yes, i saw events...but i saw events
already and I hadnt worked out how to draw the map for the routing topology at date X - without
re-writing routing algorithms myself.  in the end I bought a little applicane that does most
of what i needed - yes, not ALL i needed, but its a start.

http://packetdesign.com/products/rex.htm

I was then able to spent time on projects that local mgmt felt were more high priority
(hey, its good having a working local network... ;-) )

alan