[c-nsp] Internet inside a VRF?

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Wed Mar 14 05:19:11 EDT 2012

On (2012-03-13 21:29 -0400), Dan Armstrong wrote:

> The other reason is that we have some older folks around that long for the day when the core of a carrier network was ATM based, and the plethora of hops were basically hidden behind a switched network…   They feel that customers will freak out and feel the service is inferior if a traceroute goes through many dozen hops.  Having this inside a VRF lets us hide the hops inside a POP for instance, and only show the major transit points for clarity.

You could also use TTL hiding.

One other thing, I didn't see mentioned is that with INET in VRF you can
easily do subset of Internet VRFs. This can be useful for example to have
IXP Internet in subset which only imports you and your customer RT.
So if someone default routes to you, they won't get free transit, but will
get, what they should get.

You can also sell partial transits, which are enforced by routing. And I'm
sure there are plenty of situations where subset of Internet is useful.

--
  ++ytti