[c-nsp] Internet inside a VRF?

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Wed Mar 14 07:21:05 EDT 2012

On (2012-03-14 10:37 +0000), Nick Ryce wrote:

> Does memory usage not increase by putting all the internet routes in a VRF?

Implementation detail.

In HW FIB it shouldn't make any difference. In SW side, as you'll have
slightly longer NLRI and you must have some RT communities it necessarily
costs bit more in RIB, but this is imho, negligible.
I wouldn't personally worry about it. I believe Cisco CEF book or maybe
Behringer's MPLS VPN security book made some assumption about 2x, but it
possibly cannot be true.

You can mostly think of global table being just another instance in
non-naive implementation of multiple FIB/RIB.

--
  ++ytti