[c-nsp] IPv6 - Using link-local addresses for BGP Peering

Peter Subnovic cnspmail001 at googlemail.com
Thu Mar 15 08:16:26 EDT 2012

Dear List,

we will be having our first BGP Peering over IPv6 in the near future and
would like to know if there is a general consens whether or not to use
link-local addresses for the Peering.

My google-fu may fail me, but i couldn't find much information about it.

I found an IETF Draft which was discussing this topic and shed some light

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-kato-bgp-ipv6-link-local-00

It is a little bit dated, so i am not so sure if it is still "applicable".

I also found a presentation from a Workshop of an apnic meeting

http://meetings.apnic.net/_data/assets/pdf_file/0018/45270/6-bgp-for-ipv6.pdf

Where they say it is not recommended to establish the peering over
link-local addresses, but couldn't grasp the reasoning behind that.

configuration-wise it doesn't look that complicated on the Cisco Box.

To sum it up a little:

1) What are the pros/cons of using link.local addresses for the BGP
Peering?
2) What is the (from an operational and security pov) best way to set up
the BGP Peering?

Any Input or hints to documents are much appreciated.

Thanks,
Peter