[c-nsp] Internet inside a VRF?

Oliver Boehmer (oboehmer) oboehmer at cisco.com
Thu Mar 15 08:29:06 EDT 2012

> On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 10:23:45AM +1300, Pshem Kowalczyk wrote:
> > Easy separation into 'infrastructure' and 'services' spaces. From
that
> > perspective internet is just another service that's being offered.
>
> I'm not fully convinced by that (you can do that by keeping Internet
> in the global table)...
>
> > Ability to offer connectivity to resources only as required; so for
> > example someone needs only domestic/peering and not full transit -
> > they connection vrf only imports particular RT and it's all sorted.
>
> ... but this indeed sounds useful, yes.

useful, yes, but could also be expensive.. the more different services
you come up with, the more different routing table views you need to
provide, the more VRFs you need, and the more VRFs you have on a PE, the
more route duplication (on both control and forwading plane) you need to
do.. with the current Internet table size, this quickly becomes a
problem.

	oli