[c-nsp] Firewall/IPS Load Balancing

Murphy, William William.Murphy at uth.tmc.edu
Tue Mar 20 12:12:58 EDT 2012

Thanks for your feedback, but I don't think I am confused.  GigaMon produces a G-Secure-0216 device which allows you to take a 10G link and split the flows/conversations across up to 8 1G links.  They basically call it a security device load balancer.  The device operates at close to line rate and can allocate the flows using mac-address, IP address. and even layer-4 ports (user configurable).  What I am trying to achieve is independence from vendor proprietary clustering, load sharing approaches and have something that is more linearly scalable simply by adding another parallel device into the path.  I won't name names but certain security vendors don't do A/A very well...

Bill