[c-nsp] N7k CoPP versus rate-limiters

Tóth András diosbejgli at gmail.com
Wed Mar 21 16:58:59 EDT 2012

Hi Phil,

Thanks for clarifying what you meant. I understand the documentation
might not be detailed enough. Let me give some further information.

The feature "hardware rate-limiter" is independent from CoPP, but it
complements CoPP in protecting the supervisor CPU from excessive
inbound traffic. The traffic rate allowed by the hardware
rate-limiters is configured globally and applied to each individual
I/O module. The resulting allowed rate depends on the number of I/O
modules in the system. CoPP provides more granular supervisor CPU
protection by utilizing the modular quality-of-service CLI (MQC).

CoPP is evaluated first, then the HW Rate-limiters afterwards. There
are some rate-limiters which can be found both in CoPP and in HW RL.
An example is OSPF control packets. The reason for this is multiple
layers of security and some form of redundancy if CoPP is not enabled.

ip access-list copp-system-p-acl-ospf
    permit ospf any any
class-map type control-plane match-any copp-system-p-class-critical
    match access-group name copp-system-p-acl-ospf

See the following documentation for a few more examples of HW RLs:
http://docwiki.cisco.com/wiki/Cisco_Nexus_7000_Series_NX-OS_Troubleshooting_Guide_--_Troubleshooting_Packet_Flow_Issues

You can also use the following command to see how the RLs are mapped.
With that you can also see what is and what isn't mapped to CoPP. As
it's an internal command, it comes without the need of its output
being customer friendly.

show hardware internal forwarding rate-limiter usage

I hope this helps a bit.

Best regards,
Andras