[c-nsp] NETCONF replacing SNMP

Ian Henderson ianh at ianh.net.au
Thu Mar 29 21:38:10 EDT 2012

Hi folks,

We've recently deployed some 4500/Sup7Es - pretty cool box, but we've run into problems with our network monitoring system. With the dual core architecture of the Sup7E, SNMP no longer returns correct CPU utilisation values. Cisco suggested using the old school SNMP MIB for the 7500 and similar, but it doesn't return multiple counters.

root at monitor1:~# snmpwalk -v2c -c com switch1 .1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.109.1.1.1.1.5
SNMPv2-SMI::enterprises.9.9.109.1.1.1.1.5.3000 = Gauge32: 17
root at monitor1:~#

The TAC lodged a bug for this (CSCti07144), but that doesn't really help me now. Had a chat with a few of the folks at Cisco Live in Melbourne last week, the general consensus is that bugs in SNMP won't be fixed anymore, and that we should be using NETCONF.

OK, cool, I'm happy with that, but I can't actually find very much useful stuff about NETCONF at all. We're a Nagios/OSS/homegrown shop, so I've got no problems integrating it, but it still seems very much at the "here's an prototype library" stage.

Are there any monitoring packages that actually do it? Is anyone using it as a general NMS platform for things like CPU > x%?

Thanks all,

- I.