[c-nsp] 7606 to 6509 [BGP hold time issue]

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Thu May 3 12:36:28 EDT 2012

On 03/05/12 17:11, Scantlebury, Kieron wrote:
> We matched MTU. It was one of the first things we attempted. We also
> lowered MTU to 1280 both ends. No change.

Have you TESTED the MTU? Setting it is all fine and well, but this
really, really sounds like an MTU problem.

You want to use ping with "don't frag" set:

ping ip <dst> df-bit size 1500

The other thing could be some kind of firewall filter, or possibly CoPP
at the far end - if the far end has aggressive CoPP, a small amount of
BGP traffic might work, but a lot might get dropped. However, I'd be
surprised if this effect causes problems for long enough to let holdtime
expire.