[c-nsp] 7206 LNS/L2TP using HSRP

Tom Storey tom at snnap.net
Sun May 6 15:32:50 EDT 2012

You can/should be able to configure the upstream LAC/LTS to load
balance sessions across the two LNSs. Is there a particular reason why
you dont want to do this?

In the case of one LNS failing, all sessions from that LNS would drop
and be re-established onto the remaining LNS by the upstream device.
When the failed LNS is restored, new sessions will be load balanced
across the two again, and you can then even out the load by dropping
sessions from the fully loaded LNS manually.

At least in this scenario, you can minimise the amount of disruption
to roughly 50% of your sessions, instead of all of them - and more
specifically, only to those that actually "notice".

Tom