[c-nsp] Anycast//DNS - BGP

Robert Raszuk robert at raszuk.net
Mon May 7 03:50:55 EDT 2012

Hi Adam,

> Hi Henry,
>
> Please note that even though the diverse-path RR feature is easy to deploy
> there's one possible drawback to be taken into consideration
> Once configured with the diverse-path feature the RR will start to advertise
> all paths for all prefixes to all its clients

Completely wrong. You are mixing diverse-path with add-paths - two
completely different features.

With diverse path you are sending _only_ second best on the session
dedicated for the second best. The benefit is that you are controlling
very well number of paths on your clients, do not need to upgrade the
clients yet can benefit from BGP level load balancing as well as PIC.

> -so you should make sure all
> the RR clients can cope with the tables growth (depending on the # of
> prefixes and the # of alternate paths per each prefix) -please note that
> this will affect all the bgp speakers not just those clients that really
> need the diverse paths for loadsharing or anycasting purposes

Even with add-paths you are really talking about the number of paths
which need to be advertised can be chosen by cli.

> If you are using mpls in your backbone you'd definitely want to be using
> different RD per each bgp speaker to make the prefix unique from RR's
> perspective

RD per VRF is a good recommendation. But this falls into your issue of
having all paths on each PE where non null RT intersection exists.

Best,
R.