[c-nsp] Possible to trunk over Serial or DSL?

Voigt, Thomas Thomas.Voigt at netkom.de
Wed May 9 08:41:17 EDT 2012

Hi Darren,

you wrote:

> I'm trying to find a possible way to run dot1q tags over serial and/or
> dsl interfaces. I could trunk over E1's on my old Riverstone

ADSL doesn't know about VLANs, because it's based on ATM. But you could use different VPI/VCI-Pairs to seperate the traffic.

Some snippet for this:

interface ATM0
 no ip address
!
interface ATM0.1 point-to-point
 pvc 1/32
  pppoe-client dial-pool-number 1 dial-on-demand
 pvc 2/32
  pppoe-client dial-pool-number 2 dial-on-demand

But in VDSL you can use VLAN subinterfaces like FastEthernet0/0.10 because it's based on Ethernet.

Both things have to be configured also in the DSLAM on the other end of the DSL line and are terminated there. You cannot tunnel VLANs this way to another DSL line.

--
Regards

Thomas