[c-nsp] multicast within a mpls vpn (ios xr , asr9000)

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Fri May 11 17:06:01 EDT 2012

On Tuesday, May 01, 2012 02:33:16 PM Tony wrote:

> Hi Aaron,
>
> There is a fairly complete example here, with notated
> configs:
>
> http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk436/tk428/technologies_
> configuration_example09186a0080242aa8.shtml

What is really cool these days is NG-MVPN (a.k.a BGP-MVPN),
where MPLS is used as the data plane for Multicast (via p2mp
RSVP-TE or mLDP) and BGP is used as PIM (MCAST NLRI).

Juniper have had a working implementation for a long time
now, and Cisco will be coming to the party some time in 2013
on the ASR9000. I hope this happens sooner, as I know I
still prefer Juniper's for this very reason, and many an
ASR9000 has lost on a deal due to lack of this (or Cisco's
insistence on pushing mLDP only, when they will eventually
have no choice but be forced to support p2mp RSVP-TE as
well).

I steer clear of classic Rosen-style MVPN's, although I know
many networks run them successfully.

Mark.