[c-nsp] Monitoring Switch Fabric utilisation (VSS)

Aaron Riemer ariemer at amnet.net.au
Sun May 13 03:26:23 EDT 2012

Hey guys,

I am doing some research into the monitoring of our blade's switching
fabric. I found that we can monitor via SNMP the ingress / egress blade
fabric utilisation.

I see from the command line you can issue: "show fabric switch
[switch.number] utilization"

What I can't seem to get is the SNMP data for the non active switch in a VSS
configuration.

For SNMP the MIB "ciscoCat6kCrossbarMIB" allows you to monitor the active
switch fabric utilisation but not the standby. A walk of this MIB tree
doesn't seem to show the standby switch at all.

I see there is the CISCO-VIRTUAL-SWITCH-MIB but this looks to me more for
monitoring the VSS status.

Any SNMP / monitoring guru's able to help with this one?

Cheers,

Aaron.