[c-nsp] QOS difference behavior for GSR and 7609

Oliver Boehmer (oboehmer) oboehmer at cisco.com
Wed May 16 01:12:03 EDT 2012

Hu Xu,

you should really rephrase the question, as it's unclear what you're
trying to do (at least to me at this stage).

Yes, WRR and MDRR as queuing/scheduling mechanisms on the PFC
(65xx/76xx) and on the GSR are different, but what is really the biggest
practical difference is the way queuing is configured: While the GSR
uses the MQC syntax with class-maps/policy-maps and "bandwidth" to
assign bandwidth/ratios to the different queues (and with priority to
denote a queue PQ), the PFC QoS requires you to use
wrr-queue/priority-queue syntax, which is, at least to me, more
cumbersome.

By nature, QoS is very platform/hardware dependent. MQC is an attempt to
abstract the HW complexity, but even there you'll see noticeable
differences between platforms/linecards/xxx..

Oh, and I just found your initial post: You imply there that GSR doesn't
use PQ/WRED, which is not the case.. Both platforms support PQ, and both
support WRED for congestion avoidance. but they're configured very
differently.
If you want to transform the MQC configu to 6500, you should read up on
PFC QoS or 6500 QoS. or let me see if I can find some time later this
week..

	oli