[c-nsp] Long range 10G ethernet?

Peter Rathlev peter at rathlev.dk
Thu May 17 06:53:18 EDT 2012

On Wed, 2012-05-16 at 10:54 -0400, Justin M. Streiner wrote:
> What is the distance of the fiber span?

Just short of 100 Km. I don't have the exact number with me, but it's
something like that.

> Does your link budget include the insertion loss from the jumpers that
> will connect to your equipment at each end?  It might seem like splitting
> hairs, but on a link with that much loss, 2 dB can make a lot of
> difference, especially if the insertion loss cuts your headroom down to 1
> dB, or even less.

The ~24dB was what DOM said. I just looked again and saw that it's
actually 24.3dB in one direction and 23.7dB in the other direction:

A    Tx: 2.6 dBm      Rx: -21.8 dBm
B    Tx: 2.5 dBm      Rx: -21.1 dBm

We moved the link since the last time I looked, so it's not neccesarily
the fiber having degraded in the meantime. We have the OTDR results
somewhere, and they said something like this too.

--
Peter