[c-nsp] Stacking 3750X vs diverse 4948E

Reuben Farrelly reuben-cisco-nsp at reub.net
Sun May 20 01:57:41 EDT 2012

Yes - the 5548 does routing.  We have 2x 5548UP's with the Layer 3
daughtercard in our small corporate DC.

It does routing, yes, but you need to be aware of caveats around the
feature.  I suppose you could say that about any Cisco switch, but bear
in mind that NX-OS is aimed and targeted at the Data Centre market more
so than the Service Provider market so you you'll probably find it far
more feature rich in DC features such as Fibre Channel, than SP features
like EVCs (which btw it doesn't support).

You'll probably also find that there aren't a lot of choice of software
releases of code since the daughter card was introduced (and there are
now two variants of this, the second hardware revision has more onboard
resources).  The quality of the code is reasonable but there aren't many
to choose from, and well, I'd be interested to know of anyone who has
really hammered the BGP code to the limits ;)

It's also nice to be able to go from 1G to 10G by just upgrading SFP's.

We've had to leave a 3560 in production to do IPv6 routing and policy
routing as it just can't be presently done on the Nexus 5000, and
there's no word when IPv6 routing will be supported on it, if ever.

Reuben