[c-nsp] Stacking 3750X vs diverse 4948E

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Sun May 20 04:36:35 EDT 2012

On (2012-05-19 22:25 -0500), Tony Varriale wrote:

> If you follow the rules, those are the easiest, most non-eventful
> events ever.  I've done over 100 and had no issues.

This is curious statement, it implies that if you are operating devices as
per documentation, nothing ever goes wrong. But I'm sure this really wasn't
what you mean.
I can't explain why they've been uneventful for you, but eventful for us,
maybe since we've run it since 3750 shipped and are typically running very
old IOS (12.2(25)SE) (as virtually 0 problems on unstacked 3750, we've been
unmotivated to standardize on later releases).
Maybe your set of features configured in your 3750 in your IOS release is
better match. It would be arrogant to assume that non of our problems were
caused by operator mistakes, I'm sure some field-techs have done it wrong.

Now I'm not sure if our failure rate in stacking/destacking is 1% (1 in
100) it is probably less, all I'm saying they fail lot more often than our
non-stacked switches.

Quick bugtool search for 'stack 3750' gives 743 bugs. 569 if these have
been modified in last 6 months. 122 have been modified in last 3 months.

My key point here is, regardless how reliable or unreliable then new
software feature is, it will have more than 0 new problems, so unless you
actually can capitalize on that new feature, do not deploy it.
We found we don't need the extra capacity for inter-switch links, and we
did not get any real benefit from 'single' management plane. YMMV.

--
  ++ytti