[c-nsp] ME3400 odd DSCP bit issue

Lee Starnes lee.t.starnes at gmail.com
Mon May 21 10:42:33 EDT 2012

Hello all,

Previously I had an issue where we were stripping the dscp bits coming into
our switch and this was solved with the policy-map that does a set dscp
dscp. I can send a packet from a laptop with the bits market and see these
bits make it all the way through our network. However, what is happening is
our customer is setting the dscp value on their switch and not from the
device sending the packets. When they do this, the bits get set to 0. If
they disconnect their switch and connect a laptop in place of the link to
them from us, they see the marked packets.

So, my question is what causes these dscp bits to change based on the
customer's switch setting them and a computer setting them?

Computer <---> 3560 <---> ME3400 (3560 sets the dscp bit and we DON'T see
it.)
Computer <---> 3560 <---> ME3400 (computer sets the dscp bit and we DO see
it.)

Computer <---> 3560 <---> Computer (3560 sets the dscp bit and we see it.)

Any insight on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

-Lee