[c-nsp] Stacking 3750X vs diverse 4948E

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Tue May 22 16:42:20 EDT 2012

On Tuesday, May 22, 2012 10:19:47 PM Ryan West wrote:

> And you'll have VSS in the X.  I realize the 5500 and
> 4500-X are positioned differently, but the 10G capacity
> of the 4500-X does seem a little low for the price.  I
> guess it all depends on the feature set you need.  What
> are you needing in the 4500-X that isn't available in
> the 5500?

Not much - pure Layer 2 switching in the core, and customer
aggregation in the edge where router line cards are more
expensive than the switch.

We looked at the 5500 for such a purpose a while back, but
we had 6500 in the core then, with typical 1U switches at
the edge inside the data centres.

For the price (or for what the price will be), the 4500-X
fits our bill quite nicely in both segments we're looking
at.

Mark.