[c-nsp] PoP size equipment

Pshem Kowalczyk pshem.k at gmail.com
Tue May 22 18:52:31 EDT 2012

Hi,

On 23 May 2012 10:30, MKS <rekordmeister at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> Imagine a town of 15.000-20.000 people. What type of device/devices
> and size would you put into this town, given the following
> requirements
>
> Residential triple play (HSI, VoD, Multicast)
>   8 IP dslams (GigE)
>   Vod servers (4 GigE pors)
>
> Business connections (L3VPN)
>   10 Business connections on GigE
>   30-40 Business connections 10-100 mb
>
> AToM
> ATMoMPLS port mode, 4 STM1 ports needed.
>
> Uplinks on 10GbE in a ring based structure, current traffic levels 2-3
> gigs total
> BNG termination (pppoe) is not a requirement
>
> Spare parts are located 4-5 hours away.
>
> 1) If you where given a clean slate, what would you put in?
> 2) What do you put normally, given your normal capex level.

I think that ASR903 could be quite a good fit (unless you need things
like full BGP table, then ASR1k would be the only "smallish" option
there).

We're facing quite similar set of requirements right now (no STM1 for
us though) and the other option we came up with is something like
MX40/80.

kind regards
Pshem