[c-nsp] Lot of input errors on a NPE-G1 interface

Peter Rathlev peter at rathlev.dk
Thu May 24 04:56:02 EDT 2012

On Wed, 2012-05-23 at 13:15 -0500, Chris Gotstein wrote:
> It's probably not going to address the overrun issue, but from a best
> practices stand point, it should not be enabled on interfaces that
> connected to other connected devices, ie a router or switch.

To recap what others have said: Portfast is IMO always a good idea when
connecting to anything that does not create a L2 loop, i.e. a bridge. We
use Portfast and BPDU Guard on all links towards routers. That also
covers trunks toward a 6500 swouter if it's a "no switchport" with
subinterfaces. Not using Portfast means that many failover situations
take forever to converge.

On the other hand we never use Portfast unless we can also enable BPDU
Guard. Otherwise you're not protected from someone accidentally
connecting the port to a switch.

BPDU Filter is IMO almost always a bad thing. There are some very
special circumstances where it's warranted, but they are few and far
between.

--
Peter