[c-nsp] Lot of input errors on a NPE-G1 interface

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Thu May 24 08:37:47 EDT 2012

Hi,

On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 12:38:49PM +0200, adam vitkovsky wrote:
> What do you think about enabling port-fast on trunks between switches that
> are connected in a star topology (no redundant links) and running MST

I do not run MST anywhere, so I'm not sure how portfast and MST interact.

OTOH, if you connect switches with *RSTP* together, the links will be
up and forwarding in very short time anyway, so portfast won't make
much difference.

> I'm asking because we have problems with TCN and following CAM table flushes
> when ports flap
> We suspect that the CAM table flushes have negative effects on IPTV streams
> There was the idea of enabling port-fast on trunks since the topology is a
> cascaded star and when a segment goes offline there's no other way to get to
> it -so no need for the whole instance/domain to suffer from topology change
> And in case the someone creates an artificial loop MST should take care of
> it as soon as it hears the first bpdu right

Well, if you are *sure* your topology has no loops, then just turn off
spanning tree.  No TCNs.

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de